Meeta Dani is an internationally renowned award-winning Indian watercolor artist who is now based in Burnaby, Canada. She has done post graduation in computer science and has worked as a senior engineer for over a decade with reputed software companies in India. She is a completely self-taught artist and specializes painting in hyper-realistic style using the most powerful and versatile medium of watercolors.
Meeta's highly detailed paintings have gained international recognition in a very short span of time. She likes to paint portraits, birds, wildlife, still-life and basically anything which seems challenging to her. Light is an integral part of most of her paintings. She loves using bold colors and creating paintings that are strong and crisp.
Meeta has been selected as one of the grandmasters of fine art around the world in 2017 by the 'The Grand Masters Of Fine Art'. She is also the author of the book 'Realistic Watercolor Unleashed'. This is the only book in the market for teaching a variety of subjects like blurred backgrounds, fur, feathers, wood, water, skin, and perspective painting on architecture in a photorealistic style using watercolors. Meeta is the founder and president of not-for-profit organization 'Global Association of Watercolor Artists' (GAWA). She founded this organization with a sole purpose to provide an unbiased international platform for supporting watercolor artists of all levels across 120 countries around the world, to help them grow and advance in their artistic career. She is also a signature member of the Federation of Canadian Artists (SFCA).
And here is what she says...
I am inspired by the colors, textures, shadows, and reflections of nature and my paintings reflect my obsession with light and color. I love to face the challenges in painting complex subjects and find watercolor the most versatile and dynamic medium. I usually spend several weeks on a painting to ensure that all the details of my subject are captured. I start with thin washes of transparent hues and slowly build to over 20 subsequent layers of paint to achieve a 3-dimensional look in my paintings. Portraits and wildlife are my most favorite subjects. Although I love to paint in a realistic style, I like it when people say that my work is looking like a painting and not like a photograph.
I love listening to Indian music while I paint. Painting is not just my passion but also an outlet for me to express myself. Passing on my knowledge of painting to others gives me utmost satisfaction and I welcome anyone with their queries about painting in watercolor. My book, 'Realistic Watercolor Unleashed', has been written for artists of all levels in a very simple and understandable manner and is a valuable guide to learn to paint in photorealism using watercolors.
- 'Honorable mention' award for SFCA Medal juried exhibition by Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Dec 2018.
- Juror for GAWA International Watercolor Online contest in June 2018.
- Received signature membership (SFCA) recognition at Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in March 2018.
- Founded not-for-profit international organization 'Global Association of Watercolor Artists' (GAWA) - Jan 2018.
- First award for 'Works on Paper' juried exhibition and competition by Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA), Vancouver, Canada - Jan 2018.
- 'Best figurative & portraiture' award for Annual International Representational Show (AIRS) juried contest by Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Oct 2017.
- 'Realistic Watercolor Unleashed: A complete guide for complex realistic paintings' - book written by Meeta Dani, published in August 2017.
- Juror for many juried contests in Federation of Canadian Artists.
- Juror for Aburawash Art Prize International Watercolor Contest in 2017
- Gold medal in 2nd Rang Sang All India Art Contest in 2017.
- 3rd Award in 27 Art Point National Art Competition in 2017.
- 'Honorable mention' award for 2017 Works on paper juried exhibition by Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Jan 2017.
- Participated in Artist's Choice juried contest by Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Jan 2017.
- Participated in Seventh Annual International Representational Show (AIRS), a juried contest by Federation Of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Oct 2016.
- Participated in Painting On The Edge (POTE) 14th Annual International Exhibition and Competition, a juried contest by Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) in Aug 2016.
- Participated in Singapore Annual Contemporary International Art Exhibition in Dec 2013 and Dec 2014.
- Participated in several group exhibitions in India and South Korea between 2010 and 2015.